Friday, July 29, 2011

Crossing the Country, Crossing Cultures

Recently my travels took me out west, to San Diego, California. Specifically, I was in San Ysidro, a small town that sits just above the Mexican border. I was conducting a training while out there to an  audience that was primarily Hispanic. In addition, their student population is composed primarily of Hispanic children. I completely enjoyed my time with the group. They were engaging and very open about their experiences in the classroom. They shared many of the issues they face in educating their students with me.
 During my flight home, a couple of thoughts occurred to me...One: Many of the bumps in the road that educators of the deaf come across are similar to the issues that the staff in San Ysidro encounter. Two: Jack in the Box wasn't the best idea for a pre-flight meal (I'll spare you the details of the latter).
Many of the shared issues are rooted in language. Both, educators of Hispanic and educators of deaf children have a cloud of discontent between parents and administration lingering, floating just above their classrooms.
In California there is unrest woven into the debate over ELL students. The focus of the debate is whether or not students should be educated in their native language, or whether they should receive instruction fully immersed in English. The shared experience between teachers of native Hispanic students and teachers of the deaf, is the role that parents play in their child's education. When I was a child, I was fortunate enough that when I cracked open my books at home, my parents were there to answer questions about either the directions, or provide me with the appropriate guidance to enable me to complete my homework. Every year that I spent in the classroom with deaf children, I struggled with providing homework to my students that asked them to go beyond the instruction they had received in class that day. The reason I struggled? Because the vast majority of parents of deaf children lack the ability to fluently communicate with their child. When a parent lacks the ability to communicate with their child, the student is left on their own to complete the work.
I have to admit that I had not every given much thought to much thought to the idea that there may be another population out there that may sharing the same frustrations that teachers I did. In a weird way, it was almost a relief to know that we weren't the only educators facing these language barriers. Many of the Hispanic children attending schools in the United States are bringing home curriculum, developed in English; a language their parents are often unable to communicate fluently or at all with to their children. This lack of communication leaves educators alone with the task of educating these children. If I'm guessing, I would say that the vast majority of these students can still succeed academically. But I suppose the question is, "Are these children receiving an education that will  challenge them enough to reach their full potential?" As I stated earlier, in a odd way, it was a relief to know that educators of the deaf are not alone in this struggle. As I sat on the plane that sense of relief quickly faded, and a sense that Jack in the Box was going to force me to ignore the captains orders of keeping your seat-belt fastened grew.

No comments:

Post a Comment